August 12 – August 18, 2018
Every year Summer just seems to fly by. Before you know it, the time has come to get ready for a new school year. This year Maryland’s Tax Free Week is Sunday, 08/12/18 to 08/18/18.
Do you have your back to school list ready?
Here is a list of what is and is not qualified for exemption from Maryland 6% sales tax:
These items are qualified purchases:
- Qualifying clothing less than $100 per item
- Qualifying footwear less than $100 per item
- The first $40 towards the cost of a backpack
- Qualified clothing includes school uniforms, shirts, shoes, flip-flops, athletic socks, caps and hats, bathing suits, gloves, mittens, underwear, pajamas, cloth diapers, bathrobes, medical supplies such as adult diapers and braces, golf clothes, bowling shoes and shirts, martial arts uniforms and sports uniforms
These items are not qualified purchases:
- Any special clothing or footwear primarily designed for protective use or not intended for everyday use
- Sports cleats, baseball and lacrosse gloves, football and lacrosse shoulder pads
- Accessories including but not limited to jewelry, watches, watchbands, handbags, hankerchiefs, umbrellas, scarves, ties, headbands, belt buckles
For Frequently Asked Questions, click here to visit the Maryland Comptroller’s Website